Saturday, November 14, 2009

"Retired"


SOLD
Here is a picture I did about 6-8 months ago. I called it "retired". It is a pictured of a Marine Corps cover with a broken strap across the top and a tattered flag. Both had seen better days. I took this painting to a gallery to see if it would sell. I visited the gallery two weeks later and noticed the painting was missing. They have a small coffee shop in the gallery and the woman who runs it told me this story: Two days after I dropped it off a woman came in to the gallery and saw my painting. Immediately she started crying. She said her husband had retired from the Marines and when he got out he was a bit disillusioned. She bought this for him for veterans day. What was even better was I was told that he too cried when he saw it and especially loved the torn strap. The woman had it framed with a black frame, brought it back to the gallery to show the coffee shop woman and I was told it was beautiful. It was a great lesson for me on how powerful art can be and how it effects people. I am thankful I got to hear the story. Thanks for listening, Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment